Expected results & impact
The capability improvements introduced by the SCOUT project concerning early warning security systems are:
- The SCOUT system provides a remote security system (SENSNET) that offers 3D volumetric surveillance, also including low flight aerial target detection. The SENSENT is respectful of privacy since optical devices are completely excluded as sensors.
- The SENSNET uses low or null electromagnetic (e.m.) power emission sensors, and can be considered a Low Probability of Intercept system. It relies on the following technologies:
- Passive Bistatic Radars (PBRs), which make use of broadcast telecommunication signals already present in the environment without generating any other kind of waveform;
- Noise Radars, which emit signal at the noise level. They can be used to optimize the human beings detection capability, by using the innovative noise radar sensor to detect human beings breathing, heartbeats, and objects hidden under clothes.
- Radiometric SAR
- The SCOUT system also exploits typical sensors present in critical buildings, mainly RFID systems and infrared cameras, to maximize early warning.
- When possible and especially for PRBs, digital architectures based on Software Defined Radio (SDR) technologies are going to be used (at least for the demonstrator) due to its high level of reconfigurability, flexibility, reliability and robustness. The basic idea is to use SDR boards already equipped of FPGA and down/up frequency converters, that can be programmed to handle different bands for noise radar.
- The SCOUT provides cyber security through the CYBERSENS subsystem, which is mainly based on the honey technology that is reliable and effective. Use of Hardware and Software probes with a certain level of redundancy increases the robustness of the cyber attack protection subsystem.
- The RECOVER also makes use of distributed Smart Sensor Network paradigm, where the reconfiguration and control is governed by distributed logic. Specifically, the use of virtualization to simplify the underlying network/security architecture and introduce a higher level of abstraction by defining logical networks, logical edges and logical zones, is really an innovative technological solution.